Monday 5 November 2012

love, murder and a stranger in town



Love, death and a stranger in town.

I had never seen my sister smile like this since the death of her husband Tom. I wondered what is it that could make her glow like this. We sat at our usual round table close to the fish pond where we had a clear view of the sunset and a fresh breeze of air blowing all of us. I poured tea while I waited for her to share the good news. ‘’I have never seen such a gentleman in a long time’’ she spoke in soft happy voice. ‘’I met him on my way from leaving Mrs Greenwall‘s flowers. He offered to walk with me and since it was morning and I was not in a rush I said yes. We introduced each other our conversation led to us passing by 11th avenue coffee shop for a cup of coffee. He is good with words and woman, she laughs. Maybe it’s because I have not been around man for a long time. We made a date later tonight I will be meeting him at the old restaurant close to the old train station.’’ ‘’ So how does this prince charming of yours look like?’’ I asked. ‘’He is a medium, long nose, brown eyes and was wearing a brown coat’’.

Mrs Khumalo was a close friend of my mother. Since we had no mum anymore she was the only mum I was left with. I had to rush to her home because she needed my help. On arrival there was a police car outside her gate. When I entered the house the police man was leaving. ‘’Are you alright mum’’ I asked her. ‘’Yes I am dear’’ she answered calmly. ‘’What was the policeman looking for?’’. ‘’I was giving him a statement’’. What statement? I asked. ‘’Well I guess I am a witness to a murder’’.  We made our way to the couch and she continued‘’It happened this morning, a young lady was found murdered at the old train station. I happen to go there every morning as a memorial to my late husband. There is usually no one there every morning except for myself. I know this because I have been going there for the past 13years. Today I was not alone, as I made my way to my usual spot I met a gentleman I had never seen. He was medium, long nose and he had brown eyes and was wearing a brown coat. Later on today I received a call from the Police telling me they found a lady murder at the old train station.
It all ran like a movie in front of me. I quickly asked for the phone and I called home. Ring ring the phone rang but no one picked it up………

 written by Hawulethu Dube
a saxjaz7 production
all rights reserved

follow me on twitter @hawulethu

No comments:

Post a Comment